Thursday, October 20, 2011

OCTOBER 20

Today is my Grammy's birthday.  Last year all of the extended family got together on her birthday (18 days after she died) to have a party in her honor.  We had dinner, cake, ice cream, and memories galore.  This year, just one year later, things area already different.  My grandmother - as I am sure all of your grandmothers (and just women in general) - have the ability to pull families together.  They are the knot that ties people together.  That was by far one of my grandmothers best abilities.  You just wanted to be wherever she was.  People wanted to be around her.  Today we are not celebrating her birthday together.  We hardly see each other.  I feel like extended family unity is all but lost. The first sign I had of this drifting was the Race for the Cure in May.  I was the ONLY person from my family who attended.  But last year there were about 20 of us present to walk in honor of Grammy.  This year I had to do it alone.  I was 10 years old when my maternal grandmother died.  I was extremely close with her as well because she lived with us for 5 years.  I saw my mom's side of the family all the time during those years.  I can probably count on two hands the number of times I have seen my "Idaho" cousins in the past 10 years.  Is family separation just something that comes with the loss of the matriarch?  I feel like my family (on both sides and myself included) slacks off in the time commitment it takes to truly stay a part of each others lives.  It takes works.  It takes sacrifice.  It takes love.  I miss that my Grammy always brought us together for holidays, family home evenings, birthdays, etc.  I miss that my family used to love being surrounded by one another.  I miss and love ALL of my family.  I wish I could tell my Grammy Happy Birthday!

1 comment:

Haskell's said...

This broke my heart. I think what would help is a trip to lake Powell. Love you:)