Sunday, October 2, 2011

CEMETERY CELEBRATION

Last year, my Grammy passed away during the Priesthood session of General Conference.  We knew the end had been coming for many days as her body slowly began to shut down but as my aunt said was she a "woman's woman who waited for all the men to be out of the house to die." During the Priesthood session this year Mom, Lindsay, Heidi, Aunt Rose, Aunt Lou, and myself gathered at the cemetery to celebrate Grammy.   I don't know if you can call a gathering at the Bountiful Cemetery a "celebration" but that is kind of what it was.  We had blankets, chairs, dinner, and each other.  We watched a slideshow of pictures from my Grammy's life and listened to the recording of her funeral.  Is it sounding morbid yet?  It really wasn't, it was just lovely.  We talked about all sorts of things and it was a wonderful feeling to be together in such a special place.  For her funeral my mom had a gorgeous flower arrangement made in the shape of a breast cancer ribbon.  I dried the flowers and had it sitting in my classroom this last year but I brought it back to the cemetery to honor Grammy one more time. I hope everyone finds peace and comfort in visiting the grave sites of their loves ones because it truly is a sacred place where a very special spirit resides.

Aunt Rosie

Henry sat at her headstone just talking to "Grammy Great"




No comments: