Wednesday, November 18, 2009

JUST HIT ME TODAY...AT 23

I have my moments of ditsy-ness but I think today may have been a real low point. I like to think we can all hear songs and sing along with them and not really pay attention to what we're saying. Well this happened today, obviously. Here in the great state of Utah we have two radio stations playing non-stop Christmas music already. I was listening to "I Saw Momma Kissing Santa Claus" by the Jackson Five which is a band I love but a song I hate. It always disturbed me that the little boy had to see his mom kissing another guy - and not just any guy, SANTA. Then the little boy decides he is going to find his dad and tell him the scandal he saw and just then in the song it hit me: SANTA IS DAD!!! She is not two-timing with dear old Santie. She is kissing her husband because really over zealous dads dress up as Santa!!! Wow!

Sadly, this is not the only misunderstanding of a song for me. I was 21 years old when I realized that "Popcorn Popping on the Apricot Tree" was referring to the beautiful springtime blossoms. My childish mind literally believed I was singing about real popcorn growing on trees. Must have been the fat kid in me.

3 comments:

kathy w. said...

Ha! This made me laugh so hard. Thanks.

Lindsay said...

It's cool...it's only been 4 or 5 years since I figured that song out.

Lindsay said...

Now I feel so smart and smug every time I listen to it.