Tuesday, September 1, 2009

GSL: TOURIST CENTRAL



Alisha flew in for Kyle and Allison's wedding and so we got to spend all day Saturday together. I begged her to tell me what she really wanted to do and not just, "I will do whatever you like dear." She finally said she would like to stand in the Great Salt Lake. I looked at her puzzled but agreed to chaperone the event. Josh came down to help do Grammy's yard so we took a break and started our journey to the lake. Neither Josh nor myself have been out there in 5-10 years so after a minor "lost" detour we finally arrived on the island. I forgot that its actually quite beautiful. Well no, I didn't forget because everywhere in Utah is beautiful but it was nice to be reminded. I made the car listen to "Fur Traders and Trappers" while enjoying the history and scenery around us. And by enjoy I mean forcing the passengers to hear the great song about early mountain men finding the GSL and thinking it was the Pacific Ocean. It was kind of hard to find a spot in the lake that didn't look disgusting to stand in. Once we located a place, took a picture, and got the heck out of that water, our feet became salt ridden and white. It was gross yet so great at the same time. All in all it was a great experience that I, as a Utah history teacher and lover, should do more often. Next on my quest at the GSL is to see Spiral Jetty.

2 comments:

Lani said...

Ooh, ooh - take me! Take me! I've been wanting to head out to spiral for a long time, pretty please take me!

Liz said...

Baby you would not remember this, but dad and I used to take you kids out to the Great Salt Lake about once a month. On Sunday afternoons, we would take a nice drive out there and I think that the older kids used to like it a lot. It really is a very beautiful view looking back at the Wasatch Front. On really good days, you can see the reflections of the mountains on the east side of the valley in the Great Salt Lake. It is breathtaking! I love you and the fact that you are my little history buff.