Thursday, January 8, 2009

TEACHING CHRONICLES: FIRST PRANK OF '09

If you are reading this blog then you probably know me and if you know me then you probably know that I absolutely HATE clementines. I LOATHE THEM! Unfortunately for me, my students know this. Ooops. One of my students - we'll call him Dave - made the mistake of eating one in my classroom a couple of months ago and I made him throw it away (outside so the residual stink wouldn't linger) and promise not to bring those into my classroom again. Plus, students can't even eat in my room anyway.

Well today my kids were working on a map of Western Europe and I stepped outside the room to talk to Miss Jensen. We were discussing an issue with a student both of us have - we'll call him Stan. When I came back into the room it hit me: clementine nasty stank. Blah. I knew automatically without a doubt that it was Dave. I said, "Dave, did you honestly just eat a clementine in here???" As I walked toward him after calling him out in it, he had a mouth full of clementine. I gently reminded him we don't eat in Miss Belnap's room and walked to my desk. Then I saw it, the first prank of '09. Scattered over my desk were all of Dave's clementine peels. Wow. I whipped around and ordered him to go to Mrs. Sabey's room and not come back. Then all of a sudden Stan stands up and says, "it was actually me who put it there, not Dave." Well thank you very much for being honest Dave, that takes a lot for a 14 year old boy. Dave was promptly sent to Miss Jensen's room. I had had it. The class had already received a warning and wasn't going to take anymore crap. I was out in the hall trying to solve a problem for Dave and this is what I come back to. Seriously? Miss Jensen says I should give them props for creativity. I do have to agree somewhat because I had to hide in my back room to laugh so my students didn't see that I too thought it was minutely funny.

Kids are the best aren't they? Honestly, I know the kids didn't do it to be mean. They were just trying to joke around with me. Its sometimes hard teaching junior high when I am so young because the kids think that I would find something like this this purely funny. I should probably try and demand a little more respect as their teacher. I do like being able to have fun with them but this was not fun, just stinky

p.s. the new student teachers from BYU thought Allison, Cameo and I were all students when we met them today. they got nervous when we started going through some teacher stuff and asked how they could help us. we just laughed. true story.

3 comments:

The Sabeys said...

So last night I told Allen that story. I said kids are mean and he tried to defend THEIR honor saying that they were just doing a prank. He is married to a teacher. He should protect my honor! But then last night his high school ex-girlfriend's favorite movie was on. (one of the worst movies ever made so we like to make fun of it.) It was a walk to remember and it got to the point were they put her face on a body buiders body. And ALLen said... Kids are mean... And I said... I think it is the same as Putting clementine peels on a teachers desk. So kids are mean... yet we love them. Good times at OJHS... PS... I still think that Stan and Dave (was that their names :) should PAY!)

Liz said...

Baby, even I know better than to open a Clementine in front of you. And trust me that is hard when I have little grandchildren begging me for one. You have to "reprove with sharpness, but then show an abundance of love there after." (sorry, about putting my own twist on a great scipture). I also think it was just a little bit funny! Be grateful that it wasn't something gross that they left on your desk!

Michelle said...

That is too funny! Just be glad you aren't pregnant with morning sickness or you might have puked all over the desk. Although I suppose that would have really made those students think twice about playing another prank on you! ha ha ha.
By the way, I got a little confused with the fake names used to protect the true peoples' identity, because I think you reverted to the real names half way through. Either that or I am just a confused lady!! :)
I'm glad you're having so much fun.