Monday, January 19, 2009

LONG OVERDUE

I live at Chatham Towne. Its a nice place and I pay lots of money to live here. You would think if you add these two things together that might equal that my apartment stays well taken care of. But I forgot to mention that its still Provo and and under MVM control so nothing really gets done if there is a problem. When I moved into this apartment I quickly learned my bedroom doorknob was finickie. It kind of had a mind of its own. It would lock and unlock all by its lonesome. Pretty amazing - until one morning when it would do neither. I awoke from a great night of slumber ready to rush to the bathroom to brush my teethies (yes family, I still refuse to do anything until I have brushed my teeth). But my routine was abruptly halted when my doorknob came off in my hand. Uh oh.

I calmly tried to pry it open. Nope. I called Leslie in hopes that she was awake and ready to rescue me. Luckily she did. I brushed my teeth and then met back up with her to discuss the situation at hand. I figured I just wouldn't really shut my door for a while until I could get the doorknob back on. I went about my daily schedule as normal. My apartment was empty, nobody home so I cleaned my room to some really loud music. About 12:00pm I decided I really needed to go to the restroom. I had completely forgotten about the whole door situation and tried to access the outside world but could not. The door would not open at all. No way, no how. And I really had to go to the bathroom. I just kind of waited until I heard some shuffling in the apartment and I quickly ran to the door to yell for help. But then that person jumped in the shower before I could catch them. Crap. I sent Leslie a text message begging her to come save me as soon as she got home from running. That dumb girl ran for about 2 hours that fateful Saturday. I just sat in the middle of my bedroom for those two hours waiting, waiting, waiting (remember people, I still have to go to the bathroom). Leslie finally came home to my rescue but it didn't work! She had saved me last time, why wouldn't the door open this time?? WHY? I was frantic thinking I was going to die all alone in my room. At least I would die surrounded by my books and pretty clothes.

I did have an adorable pink leatherman in my room thanks to Kathe so I took the doorknob totally off. Still, NOTHING! I then attempted to remove the hinges from the door thinking I could just take the door right off. Well my hinges were basically painted on so that did me no good. By this point I really, really had to go to the bathroom and I had doorknob grease all over me. Boo hiss to this Saturday. I called my hometeachers, they couldn't come - also they didn't really care to because they didn't understand that I was literally locked in my bedroom and that it was a big deal. Kyle and Zack were playing football and Josh couldn't come. Its now about 3:00pm and I am clutching Leslie's hand under the door to remember what human contact was like. I instantly had an ingenious idea and I attacked the doorknob with the leatherman, got some tricky handy-man work done on it and bam, the door slides open!!! Hip Hip Hooray! I was out. Leslie ran to me and we embraced. I missed people so much. Then I spent the next 40 minutes trying to re-install the doorknob which ended up being totally broken.

So about 5 hours total, one trip to Lowe's and $17.00 later, I was free woman with a working door. I also installed the new one by myself. Okay, Zack was supervising but still. I totally rocked that day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post is long overdue, but I think it has been too soon. You were in there for a very long time. That was the best/worst thing that has ever happened to me.

Liz said...

Ash, you are such a nut. I am proud of you being such a good "handy man". I just can't believe that you got stuck so long in your bedroom. I love to find new postings on your blog; you are a great story teller.