Wednesday, October 1, 2008

TIS THE SEASON

Its finally October folks and do you know what that means? It is NATIONAL BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH! Yeah! This is better than Christmas, this is the real "season." Be sure to check out the links I have on this blog to some good BC sites.

This is a really interesting BC month for me for many reasons. My grandmother is battling this disease again for the 3rd time. She is such a trooper, it is amazing. She drove all the way down to Provo by herself in the middle of a treatment period to come to my graduation. It meant the world to me - she means the world to me. I also have a student whose mother died of breast cancer 3 months ago. She is the most precious individual. She had to come to picture day in tears because she didn't have a mom at home to help her pick out an outfit and do her hair. Nobody should face that reality. I brought her a little gift pack of BC paraphernalia a couple weeks ago and she just lit up at the thought that someone else cares and kind of understands. She is a gem and I know she was put into my class for a reason - to have a friend who cares. This year I live with Alisha whose mother had breast cancer. They worship awareness at their house too and celebrating this month with her makes it pretty special as well.

Be sure to stop by Nordstrom or Macey's to pick up some free breast cancer pink ribbons. Wear them in support of someone you know who has dealt with this disease in their life (if you are reading this and you know me then thats someone you know already...kind of a stretch but it works). When you are at the grocery store and see an item with the pink ribbon on it, buy it because that small purchase automatically donates money to the cure. And let me tell you people, we WILL find a cure! Tis the Season!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hey Baby, it is good to see you bloggin again. There is a life outside of Orem Jr. High School! I am proud of your breast cancer awareness thoughts; I have a few great BC things for your birthday. I love you bunches and grundles!

Lani said...

I already have all of my breast cancer awareness magazines lined up ready for perusal at my house! Thanks for making me an aware individual and teaching me so much about BC :)

Also - let's ride?