Tuesday, July 15, 2008

GLENN DOESN'T LIE

My beloved Glenn Beck came to Utah on two separate occasions in celebration of July 4th. He put it best on his blog after giving his amazing Freedom Speech:

"We just took off from the Provo Utah airport. I just finished giving the keynote address at the Freedom Festival’s Patriotic Service. WOW. There is nothing like the way this state celebrates America. It is truly different here. It is more like the America I remember as a kid."

Glenn said Utah is the most patriotic and Glenn doesn't lie. I know he would have been blown out of the water had he spent the 4th of July in Kaysville because hands down, KAYSVILLE 4th RULES ALL! And I don't lie about the sacredness that is the 4th. Let me give you all a little taste of the 4th in K-town.

It starts with the Chuckwagon Breakfast put on by the mayor and the city council. There are pancakes, eggs, breakfast meats that I don't partake of, juice, and friends. You always dodge a couple people and you always hug a couple people. The person I love seeing most at the Chuckwagon is Hannah Watkins, well the whole Watkins clan actually.

After lazily eating 3 huge pancakes and chatting in the baking sun, we saunter down the street to stake our place for the parade. The Kaysville parade is the highlight of the day. I can't explain to you how amazing it is unless you come. I love it when I bring outsiders in the for the first time because they are seriously blown away at how awesome our little town is. At the parade you get to see people you know and then they throw candy and treats to you. Its fantastic. The best part of the parade for me is the Davis High marching band. Love 'em! After the hour long parade of wonder, there is a water parade that will cool you off really well. I'm a little too high maintenance for that so I don't usually participate because lets face it: I will not get ready twice in one day.

After the parade comes a day of BBQ and napping. Good food, good people, good sleep, good town. Perfect. Around 9 pm we head up to DHS for the firework show. You wouldn't think a little town could produce serious greatness with fireworks but we can! The show is about 30 minutes long and you get to lay right under the fireworks so you can kind of feel them exploding in your chest. Its the best feeling. Corey came up for the fireworks and I will admit he had a little sour attitude. He didn't see why it was so important for me to have him there. Then he saw the fireworks show and got how amazing it all is. So he is off my hate list because he made it and he loved it.

To sum up my lengthy piece on how fantastic the 4th of July is in Kaysville, I will leave you all with a few pictures. Enjoy. And don't get jealous that where ever you spent your 4th was lame and mine was awesome. Sorry, its just how Kaysville does it.



5 comments:

Liz said...

I seriously missed not being there with my family. I had a truly "lame" 4th as I injured myself while on an early morning walk with Dad. I tripped and sprained my left ankle and my right hand. But you are right about the Kaysville celebration. Nothing beats it and when we come home we're all going together!

Miss Ashley said...

I need to make an addition to my blog that includes what I do on the 4th since my parents are gone:

Laura and her family adopted me nearly a decade ago and haven't forgotten about me so I go and chill with them on the 4th and they feed me and care for me! Thanks!

Lindsay said...

Guess I didn't make the cut!

Michelle said...

Ashley! Yay! I was so excited to hear from you. I love Glen Beck too. I am so jealous that he went to Utah, but I was very happy that you wrote about it!! Anyway, I love you to pieces and wanted to say hi. Oh, and I think you should take a trip to Vegas sometime! :)
And before I sign off: Pizza. Id-a-mod-a-cookie!

Anonymous said...

You are super-duper right about the K-Town celebration. They do it right. I was here in TEXAS (Where everything really is bigger) and they had a parade that lasted a grand total of.... drumroll... 12 minutes. Luckily it made a loop and we got to watch it twice. They did however have a rule about not throwing candy. There is nothing more discouraging in life than walking away from a parade empty handed. The fireworks only lasted about 9 minutes and then we were home. To say the least, Texas doesn't know the 4th of July that those from Kaysville are accustomed to, expect and love.