Tuesday, June 24, 2008

RANDOM LIFE STORY: NEWSPAPER ROUTE

My friend Hollie tagged me on her blog but I don't have anything interesting to say like she did so here is my version of it. I will fill you guys in on a little job the two of us had: a newspaper route. We were probably 13 years old when we decided this was a good idea. We delivered a free community newspaper (The Davis County Clipper) to two trailer parks in Layton. Yeah, scary. I think we made .5 cents for every paper we delivered and that turned out to be about $25 dollars a month each.

Our first day on the job, the first paper thrown was by Hollie but she was a little over zealous and broke the plastic/glass window on the trailer. That was funny because it took our first paycheck to pay for it. Sad. Well we loathed Thursdays because thats when we had our route. One Thursday in particular we did not want to deliver all 200+ papers so we came up with the idea to throw about 50 of them in the big construction dumpster in her neighborhood. That was a great idea because we finished our route in about 40 minutes! Good idea Hollie.

Anyway, to say the least it was a very interesting first job. It got so interesting in the trashy Layton trailer park that Hollie's cop dad had to come with us, armed one time because the trailer trash hated us. We didn't last too long but it was fun, something to keep us busy, and quite a story for you folks.

4 comments:

The Masons said...

That is great. I can't believe we ever thought that was a good idea! $25 a month to risk our lives! So not worth it!!

kathy w. said...

You crack me up! I can just see little Ashley now, chucking bundles of newspaper into the trash bin. Brilliant.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I had boring jobs. I wish I had fun stories to tell about the peach orchard in Perry. I got nothing, just a load of re-re dirt. That's all I worked with. :)

Liz said...

Baby, this was not a story that I hoped to ever hear about again. Hopefully you have come to the knowledge that 25.00 to "risk your lives" was not a real bargain. Hope you are well and happy. I can't wait for you to come up in a few weeks!