Wednesday, March 16, 2011

LITERAL

As a connoisseur of teenagers (and NOT in a gross way), I think I have a little insight that others might not. Teenagers are unique animals. They don't understand eye cues yet. Meaning, if one raises their hand in class and I look straight at them, they keep holding their hand up. Really? Because I am staring right at you! Then I finally say, "yes?" Still nothing. I have to say their name and and point at them to get them to understand what staring at them means. They just haven't connected those non-verbal cues yet. My favorite thing about them is that they take everything and I mean EVERYTHING literally. This can cause a lot of trouble but can also be really funny. Case in point: Jar of Hearts by Christina Perri. In Utah History the students were working on a group poster project. I let them listen to music when they work like this. When the song came on some started singing it under their breath but one girl gasped. "Oh, I just love this song but I shouldn't listen to it!" Her friends wanted to know why she didn't to listen to it and her response was: "Have you heard this song, its really bad. It is about a guy who kills women that he pretends to love, rips their hearts out, and puts them in a jar." NO IT ISN'T! The song actually goes like this, "...who do you think you are / running round leaving scars / collecting your jar of hearts / and tearing love apart / your gonna catch a cold / from the ice inside your soul / so don't come back for me / who do you think you are / I hear you are asking all around / if I am anywhere to be found / but I have grown too strong / to ever fall back in your arms / and I learned to live half alive / and now you want me one more time..." She just took the words of the song for what they actually say. Adorable and one of the greatest laughs I have ever had. Thank you innocent and literal teenagers, thank you.

2 comments:

Derek and Lisa said...

Oh my heck. This is so funny! Love it!

Lindsay said...

Oh dear. I didn't know this about teenagers! Did you explain the song to her? Did her friends explain it to her? Did her friends think the same thing? Is she normally mostly intelligent? So many questions!