Thursday, March 3, 2011

BARBIE

I was reminded of something with all the current protests in the Middle East and a lot of people have asked me lately what I experienced in Egypt. While in Egypt - or any other Muslim country, I'm sure - white ladies get marriage proposals like it is going out of style. I heard it a few times in my short stay in Egypt. I knew it would happen but when it finally did I was still shocked. One thing I did not expect was the occasional oooogling over my blonde hair. My favorite reference is when the shopkeepers would shout to me, "Barbie! Barbie! You want buy? Make good offer!" Barbie?? Really?? It was awesome/crazy. One time I woke up from a bit of a nap while sitting on a bench because I could hear all this giggling around me. I looked up and to a group of 3 or 4 kids trying to touch my hair. Weird. By mid-trip I started donning one of these:It wasn't just to try and fit in but it actually kept me quite cool (wish I had it in the Nubian village when it ws 123 degrees!!). I bought his head scarf in a market in Aswan. The man I was dealing with was ridiculous. The first price he gave me for 7 scarfs was 400 pounds (thats about $70.00). I said no thanks and started to walk away. We talked it through for about fifteen minutes until he finally came to a price I agreed upon, 200 pounds. I hated the markets but I loved them at the same time. Does that even make sense? Lani and Jessica, do you agree with that??? The picture below was the spice market in Aswan. I got some saffron for $15.00. Enough for 2 batches of Saffron rolls (that would usually cost about $100.00)!
And as an added bonus, here is a picture of me on the train leaving Cairo. It was disgusting. The entire trip I NEVER let anything Egyptian actually touch my skin. It was gross.

No comments: