Wednesday, January 20, 2010

HAVE YOU HEARD...

Image this scenario: awkward red-headed 7th grader who has to share every thought that comes to him raises his hand to ask me if I had heard about this health care thing going on with Obama. I obviously was confused as to why this was his question while we were in the middle of a discussion on mapping Utah's mountain ranges. I told him that of course I knew but we needed to get back to mapping. Then he proceeds to inform me, as if I truly just didn't know, about Obama trying to change health care. It doesn't stop there. He goes on to mention that "some guy in another state just won something after another guy died and it's making the republic [aka the republicans] really happy and it's going to stop this health care business." I am all about kids being informed on current issues. However, things that are as heavy as public option health care and and the stunning republican turn of the Massachusetts Senate should wait a few years to be discussed at the breakfast table. Try starting the class back onto mountain ranges after that crazy tangent.

2 comments:

The Sabeys said...

Politics during mapping... the BEST! I love teaching!

Lindsay said...

Oh dear!