Thursday, October 1, 2009

HERE WE GO AGAIN


Cures, love, donation, support, and awareness are back in swing in this year's breast cancer month. I feel like this year is going to be different. I don't know why, I just feel it in my bones that this October is going to special. Maybe its because I got to take grammie to one of her treatments recently so I feel even more connected to the disease.


Grandma is still sick. Her cancer is far worse than it was last year. I am not letting that discourage me because she isn't letting it discourage her. She is still fighting. She is still smiling. She is still here. I talked to her two days ago about her cancer marker. It was up about 200 points from the last test. I started to cry without letting her know I was getting emotional. She explained to me that when the doctors told her about the test results she didn't cry at all and she felt okay about how the appointment had gone. I had to (in the words of my father) cut the tears. Why can she be so brave and I cannot?


For the last two years I have put up statistics about breast cancer. I don't need to do that again. If you are not aware that it effects 1 in 7 women then get aware. Research. Learn. Support. But don't just support breast cancer. Yes, it is BC awareness month so take a little extra time to give a donation or purchase items with the pink ribbon on. But pick your passion. I gave a lesson to my 9th graders about having something in life that you support. Mine is breast cancer. It doesn't have to be every body's. They can borrow mine for now until they figure out what is important and personal to them if they want. I will fight for this disease everyday. I just ask that you at least stay aware of it this month. Wear a ribbon. Visit a hospital. Purchase some pink ribbon items. I still have a list on the right side of my blog of breast cancer websites so visit them. Do something and then go out there and pick your passion and support the crap out of it.

No comments: