Saturday, December 20, 2008

TEACHING CHRONICLES: CHRISTMAS PRESENTS

Who knew that students really give teachers presents? I thought it was just in the movies. I wasn't imagining anything extravagant like a fruit basket from Ralphie but dont worry people, I got much more than that. My kids were bringing me random gifts throughout the last week of school. Here is a sample of what I received:
  • free hair cut
  • hot chocolate
  • little stuffed santa
  • 3 ornaments
  • lots of Christmas goodie bags
  • free lunch at Tucano's (for our faculty Christmas party)
  • bag of candy from the seminary teachers
  • 2 large mugs
  • chocolate orange
Seriously, who knew? I mean I was a teachers pet-ish. Thats probably obvious since I loved school and became a teacher but that certainly doesn't mean I wished them well with presents. No way. And I know its only Saturday (i.e. day 1 of Christmas break) but I love knowing that I don't have to have anything prepared for Monday. I don't have to fake excitement when talking about Madurai Gopuras for the 100th time. Its going to be a good 2 weeks.
Merry Christmas to everyone. I hope you all enjoy your holidays and try and get some skiing in!

2 comments:

Cameo and Allen said...

Those are pretty good gifts! You are such a good teacher. I wish you were my geography teacher :) You totally beat me in the number of gifts.

The Ball Babies said...

Teacher gifts are the best! (Sometimes) This year I got an old picture frame, some old Harry and David's moose munch candy bars (they were turning white with age...), a candle from Hallmark, a Christmas tree ornament, and a package of candles that looked like they'd been to Russia and back because of the dilapidated state of the box - and what was so funny was that my student who gave them to me prefaced her gift with, "Mrs. Ball, this was all we could find for you." Nice. Nice. You gotta love 5th graders. But what's more, you GOTTA love Christmas break!!!