Friday, November 28, 2008

TEACHING CHRONICLES: ESSAY TESTS

I have learned a lot in my first 3 months on the job. One of those I would like to mention right now is on lightening my grading load. The best example I have is when Allison and I got way in over our head by giving an essay test. Bad move. 9th graders + poor writing skill + 4 essays + incoherent babble = total of 10 hours to grade 200 tests. Again, bad move. Allison and I thought for sure we could give them an essay test and they would know how to write. Oh, how wrong we were. They couldn't even answer the questions. Most of them were complete nonsense. Here is a sampling:

"Communism is a classroom based on common overall good ships"
-supposed to be: Communism is a classless society based on common
ownership of goods

"Its like in Utah where they like only sell alcohol with like a .03 percent likker (liquor) and the other states sell .05."
- in an essay comparing Judaism and Islam

Basically, grading them was rough but so funny. I definitely learned my lesson that I can't throw them into an essay test and expect a). that they would be able to produce good writing, b). that I could easily grade them on time (its been 6 weeks and I still have 50 essays left to grade before midterms are due on Tuesday). Oops. I am just figuring this teaching thing out. Can ya tell?

6 comments:

kathy w. said...

Oh, my goodness. I about died laughing over the communism definition. Sounds like somebody didn't take very good notes.

The Sabeys said...

Oh how I would love to know who wrote both of those examples. Perhaps we will have to chat upon return to OJHS. Good luck with grading. I miss you.

Haskell's said...

oh that is just great!!

Michelle said...

That is hillarious, and sad at the same time! It reminds me of Glenn's idiot trivia that he does on the radio, although I guess answers like this are a bit more understandable from a kid than from an adult!!
But really, likker? And overall good ships? These are the things a 5 year old would say or spell!

Amy said...

Ummm, this makes me very happy. I'm sorry grading has been so icky. While this isn't at all noble, it was while I was helping my 6th grade homeroom teacher grade English assignments that I discovered I would hate teaching. I HATE grading. So, ummm, yeah. Here's to those out there who are more patient than me (or at least can feign it better than I can). Love ya!

The Ball Babies said...

I'm laughing, but to myself only, because, I too, am experiencing a very steep learning curve teaching 5th grade for the first time. It's nice to know that you are doing some of the same things I am! Newbies... Yep, it's true that a lot of kids CANNOT write! "What was I thinking" is what I'm usually thinking...