Tuesday, November 15, 2011

JOHN WESLEY POWELL AND THE GERMANS

I don't know how I could manage to teach Lake Powell better than I do.  I am kind of awesome at talking about it.  I mention Lake Powell and John Wesley Powell in my class probably 2-3 times every day.  Literally.  My students recently took a test on government explorers (including Powell) and one of the essay questions was, "Why did Powell explore the west?  Discuss both of his expeditions."  This is a student response with their exact spelling and grammar: "because the germans sent him and he trapped beavers.  teh purpose of his second was to catc beavers and teh germans wanted to see if he would surviv."  Where did I go wrong??? I don't think I have ever said anything about Germany in my Utah history class.  Ever!  Oh boy.

1 comment:

The Sabeys said...

Oh Junior High Students :)