Tuesday, June 14, 2011

TOPAZ

My first class this summer was a course on Topaz. I learned so much from the professors, the field trip, the internees, and the darling 442 soldier.

In this picture I am standing in block 22 of the Topaz Relocation Center. Over 11,000 Japanese were "evacuated" from the east coast and sent to this location. The barracks, mess halls, hospitals, and administration buildings were removed from the site in 1946 and sold, mostly to farmers in the Delta area for barn storage. Over 100,000 total Japanese were forced to live in camps just like Topaz. I didn't learn about Topaz until I was in college and I am finding that's the trend for most people. Why is this something that is not taught in American History???

What one of the barracks would have looked like. They each had about three beds and one stove. The Japanese had to bring their own belonging or make what furniture they could out of scrap wood.

Lisa and I with the darling Nelson Akagi. He was a soldier in the 442 regiment during WWII. His unit, made up of Japanese American citizens, were considered enemy aliens but became the most decorated unit in American history. He was the most adorable thing I have ever seen.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

That little old man might be the most darling little old man I have ever seen! I am glad you learned about the Japanese and not topaz the jewelry!