Wednesday, January 26, 2011

RECLAMATION

And by reclamation you mean water reclamation?? Yes, I do. My brain got stuck on this topic when a) I went to Hoover Dam last week and b) Josh asked me if I hadn't grown up going to Lake Powell would I still love it.

Water reclamation history in the west is honestly one of my favorite things to study and read about. The "west" would not even be a thought without reclamation. This is good but mostly bad. As much as I love Lake Powell, I truly DO NOT believe in water reclamation. If John Wesley Powell knew that a man-made lake of stored up Colorado River water was named in his honor, he would be furious. If an area cannot naturally sustain itself, it shouldn't exist. This is the case for many western cities that guzzle water and electricity from dams in Utah, Arizona, Nevada, and California. I took an entire course in college on the history of water reclamation and it was probably my favorite class of all time. Weird, right?

I know you all get more than enough crap from my blog, facebook, in person, at school, etc. about Breast Cancer, the great state of Utah, or BYU. But one love that you probably didn't know I have is water reclamation. It is very seriously a passion of mine - not as a Sierra-club-loving-lefty but as an historian who is awed by the fact that a simple thing like water can change the fate of everything.

Whew, I feel like you all know me a little bit better. Kind of in a weird way....

2 comments:

Liz said...

You little water reclamation lover you! I am your mother and this is a new piece of information that I did not even know about you.
I am proud of you and the level of dedication you have in your profession. You are truly a teacher that will inspire your students to be better people.

Michelle said...

I have to say that I am very fascinated by your little post. I don't know that much about water reclamation, but now I'd kind of like to take a class on it myself!