Sunday, November 7, 2010

DIAMOND STORY


The first time I remember hearing the story about my grandmother's wedding ring, I was 7 years old. I have probably heard the story told by her or my grandfather dozens of times since then. The last time I heard my grammy tell it was on the eve of her 60th wedding anniversary. I sat next to her that entire day as she told me story after story about her courtship with my grandpa, their engagement, the diamond, their honeymoon, etc. I would give anything to be back with her on that day. Here is the brief story of that ring.

My grandparents had a unique courtship - one for another blog post. Most of their relationship was spent writing letters between Grammy at home and Grandpa at his residency. Grandpa is a true child of the Great Depression so he saved and saved for a ring to send to his Sweet Elen. The way grandpa saved enough money was to eat baby food from his hospital in Cleveland. By not having to buy food he was able to buy this ring. Such humility and devotion! He mailed the ring to Grammy in Utah and she received it on Christmas day. That was the proposal, he wasn't even there in person. I love this story more and more every time I think about it.

If I was ever around my grammy she probably wasn't wearing her wedding ring because I was (notice in the picture of us I have her ring on). She let me wear it all the time and I loved it. It stood as such a symbol to me of the constant love, devotion, and kindness of my amazing grandparents. It was more than just a diamond to me, it was the hope I had for myself to be like my grammy and to have the relationship she and grandpa had.

After grammy died, her ring was removed. I don't know where it is now but I think about it everyday. I think about what it represented but I also think about her without it. It surprised me how sad I was to imagine her without that diamond. I know she didn't want to be buried in it because of it's significance to our family but there is that part of me that wished it was still with her.

I am grateful I had the moments I did with my grandparents to hear this story. Not only did I hear about it from them but they exemplified this story through their actions to each other. I sure miss having the opportunity to see that ring and I REALLY miss my grammy.

2 comments:

The Sabeys said...

I love that story. I love your Grammy. I love you. And you know that I am probably the next person after you that wants you to know so badly where it is!

The Bairds said...

such a sweet tribute!