Thursday, June 25, 2009

GREAT ANNIVERSARIES - a little too deep

These last few days have culminated the 2 year mark for my mother and father on their ultra long mission. Okay well its only three years but I promise, as their child, its ULTRA long. I was in Washington visiting them when they hit their two year mark. It didn't even phase them because they are so into (and in love with) the work. I had a great visit with them. Momma and daddy took me to Pallouse Falls, Vancouver, bike riding, exploring, and basically let me do whatever I told them I wanted to. I have amazing parents and I love them lots. I have a bad feeling about their last year though: that it is going to draaaaaaaaaagggggggggg on. I am glad they will be home one day but part of them wants to stay where they are forever. Oh well, I am selfish and I win. June 2010 or bust!


The title of this post implies multiple anniversaries so lets get to the second one. It was the 5th anniversary of BYU. This mostly marks meeting Ashton and Jessica, my roommates Freshman year. We have stayed close the last five years and they mean so much to me. My favorite memories in Provo are with them.


I blogged about all of this last year and as I looked back on it I feel like I have done a lot of growing up. It made me reflect on the things I have done in the last year, not just with teaching but with life in general. Last year I thought I had it all figured out. I was graduating with a job that I knew was perfect for me, a boyfriend that I thought was perfect for me, a lot of friends and family very close by that I saw all the time. I was happy. I thought my life was pretty much planned and on my way to easily enjoying the rest of it.


Things don't work out as planned. Orem Junior did change my life, Corey did too just not in the way I thought he would. I grew up through both of those experiences. I grew up by Josh get married. I grew up having to do most things by myself now. I grew up when Leslie moved out of Provo. I grew up when I started acting financially independent. I grew up with Grammies cancer battle again. I grew up by going through the temple. I grew up by watching Jen get married. I grew up finishing my first year teaching. I grew up by moving to the "older" part of Provo. Basically I have done a lot of things that I wouldn't have thought I was capable of. I am still a kid learning how to cope with life everyday but I am actually good at it. I can tackle what comes at me. I can overcome it. I can wait one more stinkin' year for those parents of mine to come home and take me to Lake Powell. I can do it. I can be single and graduated from college in Provo. I can teach those darn teenagers again. I can do it all but I have to give credit to how I think I do it all: Heavenly Father. Yep, He has helped me "grow up" in every way.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

Um, hello... I think you are missing one very important factoid there lady! While we didn't spend that much time together in Provo since, afterall, I was pretty much all grown up and practically graduated when we met... it has also been 5 years since we were roommates! Hello, what could me more life changing than THAT?!?!?!?
ha ha ha ... I'm glad you've been doing some growing up. It will be so fun to see you again - you know, when you decide to take a little trip to Vegas! :)
I would love to drive up to Provo, but that's just not happening right now with my hugely pregnant body.
Anyway, I love you and I'm glad you had such a great visit with your parents.

Liz said...

Ashy, I can't tell you how proud I am of you. You have grown up and in doing so, have given this mother a great feeling of accomplishment! I love feeling like I have really done something incredible; I raised a truly remarkable woman! And you will go on to fullfill everything in your patriarichal blessing, because you are so faithful. I thank my Heavenly Father every single day for the privilege of being your mother.

Meg said...

you know, it's kinda funny because I cried while reading this lovely post. It's exactly what I needed to hear as I am up in Jackson Hole all by my lonesome. Thanks dearest.