Wednesday, May 21, 2008

CERTIFIED SCHOLAR


HUGE DEAL: I passed the Praxis test!!! That's right folks, I can now graduate and be a teacher. For those of you who are not schooled in the hell that is the Praxis test I will inform you. As part of No Child Left Behind (which I have serious issues with), teachers now have to take an exam in their content area before they can graduate and before they can teach. Well I had to take the history Praxis test which is not hard...it is super hard. The test is 120 question of pure awful. There are study guides for almost every content area except history so you just kind of have to learn everything from forever ago to today. Thats thousands and thousands and thousands and thousands of years people!


I spent days just reading everything I could get my hands on about history, particularly ancient world history as that is a black hole in my knowledge pool. I woke up at 6:30am on SATURDAY March 15 (Josh's birthday) to trek it up to BYU campus to take my test at 7. The test took 2 hours and the questions were really hard. They have free reign to ask you anything, literally anything that has ever happened in the world. Dates, art, rulers, civilizations, periods, wars, dynasties, people, acts, bills, and anything inbetween. And trust me, they asked me all of that crap.


The complete torture that was the Praxis test lasted for 5 weeks after taking it while I awaited my scores. I was physically ill as I curled in a ball in my closet debating whether or not I should even open up my results. Good thing I did because I passed hard core. So if any of you are looking to give someone a gift for how awesome they are, you can save some time figuring out who that should be and send it my way. This test kicked my trash but I kicked it right back passing (not to be cocky), by a large margin!

7 comments:

Lindsay said...

Yeah, well I had to take this test called the ACT's and you have no idea how much harder that was. What...oh you had to take that too? Oh, I don't care (Remember the guy who said "I drink, I smoke, I don't care). I guarantee it was 500 times harder the year I took it!!!! (I wanted to sound like someone in particular and you will have to talk to me in person for me to tell you who that it)

Lindsay said...

Oh yeah--CONGRATS! It aint easy learning what happened every single day from the day Adam was placed in the garden!!

Lindsay said...

I want my kids to get a little historical education, so I think I am going to put the movie "Anastasia" on right now.

The Masons said...

Congratulations Ashley, that is awesome! History was never my best subject so I am seriously impressed :)

The Masons said...

... and a little jealous...

grammielou said...

Ashley, Congratulations! What an accomplishment. What a beautiful, wonderful girl. Aunt Lou

Liz said...

Baby, congratulations on this and on finding the perfect teaching job. I knew that the Lord would direct you to right school and to the history class you really wanted to teach. Sometimes His timing isn't what we hope for, but He knows what is best for us in the end. You will be the best Utah history teacher ever!