Tuesday, February 1, 2011

CHIVALRY



I make sure that my junior high boys learn the art of chivalry. In Miss Belnap's class there are just certain things that the gentlemen must do for the ladies, such as: 1) when we need a textbook, they get one for themselves and the ladies around them, 2) when something needs to be turned into the inbox during class, they take their own papers plus those of the ladies around them. It just works.

I am honestly amazed at the number of teenage boys who have never done a gentlemanly thing in their lives. I drill it into them all year that men are here to serve women (not in a chauvinistic way but in a very loving way). I also give the boys a promise at the beginning of the year that goes something like this, "If I ever see you fail to open any door for any lady at any time in your life, I will MAKE SURE YOU NEVER HAVE A GIRLFRIEND! EVER!" They actually do quite well at it. They always ask me why this is a requirement and my answer is simple WOMEN DESERVE IT! Women have babies. Men op
en doors. That's it.

2 comments:

The Swank Family said...

You know, I've always believed in the chivalry thing. But, now, having actually gone through having a baby, it really is completely and totally necessary. Men will never be able to compensate for the pain (which they cause, I might add) of pregnancy, labor, delivery, and postpartum-- but they can certainly begin to try by OPENING MY DOORS!

Michelle said...

I LOVE that! And who can dispute your last statement? Women have babies, so opening doors is the LEAST a man can do!! Good for you for teaching those boys. It's so unfortunate that they aren't learning it at home though.