Monday, September 17, 2007

Hare Krishna

No, I haven't converted but I did spend an afternoon of fun at the Hare Krishna Temple in Spanish Fork. It was pretty interesting. First of all, there were no signs saying that we (me, Jessica, Heather, and Sarah) had to pay to get in until a guy walked up to us with a thick roll of money in his hand. He said each of us had to give him three dollars. Okay, fine. Although I didn't see why we had to pay just to walk around. Whatever.

My main reason for going to India Fest was to see the architecture of the temple. It was a blended style of Islamic and Byzantine architecture but all done in cement. Not a good choice people. This was the most unique temple I have ever been in. The main story is a buffet and thrift / gift store and the upper level is the temple part. We had to take our shoes off to enter the temple which didn't worry me until I had to go to the restroom but I am not B. Spears.









We sat and listened to some monks expain the theology and belief system. That was pretty fun actually. They wore long robes, had painted faces, and had shaved heads with little pony tails in the back. They were all very nice but I have to wonder if the white dudes are just experimenting with glorified hippie-hood.


Well after exploring the temple and religious beliefs we headed off to see the llamas, weird cow things that remind me of documentaries, and my favoirite part: the "satan" billboard. Has anyone seen the new A Little Princess (not the one with Shirley Temple)? Well this totally reminded me of that. It was fantastic. There were also monks dancing, fireworks, lots of Indian Food, and a whole lot of Mormons experiences Hare Krishna.

2 comments:

Heidi Louise said...

How did you even find out about this place and why didn't you take me? I want to go!

Nanna Poppa Missionary said...

Since when does Spanish Fork have a place like that? When I saw your photos I thought maybe you had taken a little road trip that I hadn't heard about. One of the things I love about you is your thirst for knowledge. Keep up your interest in the world about you!