Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Education is worthless apparently

There is this weird culture in Provo that believes marriage is the #1 achievement in life. Maybe its a church wide thing but I -unfortunately- don't get out of Provo much to investigate. I am not dogging on marriage. I love marriage. My parents are married. I am however, angered by the mentality of young married couples and occasionally the older married couple as well, that getting married means you are automatically an awesome person, you don't suck at life, people like you, and you have so much to offer your EC. Well what the crap? The other day I was talking with a group of ladies, most of whom were married. They were asking how random people were doing and what they're up to.
Here is a slice of how the conversation went:
"She has been married for a year now."
"He just proposed last night!"
"She went to Brazil on her mission"
"She is living in Boston with her husband who is going to med school."
"Her mission call came last week."

When they asked about me, my friend answered for me saying:
"Oh, she is just doing school."

WHAT? JUST SCHOOL? Obviously working my 'a' off (without taking so much as a term off from school) so I am not dumb as dirt and so I can teach and influence young minds for years to come means nothing b/c I didn't go on a mission and I am not married. You have to do one of the two. Well folks, no you don't. Look at me, breaking from the Provo mold. Blah blah.

I hate married girls sometimes (Laura don't get offended) they just sometimes suck. Like another married friend of mine told me the other day that if you can't get married during your time in Provo there is a major issue with you. Thanks brat.

3 comments:

Lani said...

I think that some people just lose a few IQ points once the marriage thing happens - maybe they don't plan on having to amount to much anymore? Next time you're with these girls wear a missionary nametag AND a wedding ring at the same time, that oughta show them accomplishment...

Brent, Bethany, and Brooke said...

I hope you keep blogging like this, because I love reading. HILARIOUS! (even if you didn't mean to be!)

Heidi Louise said...

I want to know who the "Ho" is that said there is a major problem with you if you don't get married while you are in Provo. I will take her down and she will regret the day she ever said that. LOL

Uhm I am proud you don't fit "The Mold" of girls in Provo. No offense to our cousins that went to BYU and married and Laura. I am just proud of you for LIVING your life. And I love you!